- Contact Us
Pray For Your Pastor
By Barb Schutt
It is my practice to pray for pastors every Sunday morning. I have prayed for pastors in the classis where I have lived and served for many years–I’ve tried to keep a list of churches and pastors in my prayer journal. Most of the time, I pray Scripture over and into them as they prepare to lead worship, preach, etc. Also, it is a blessing to be on prayer teams for several pastors, church planters, and others. This is a passion of mine, and is what got me into the HOPE team in the first place!
There are two books I would recommend on the topic of praying for pastors: Preyed On or Prayed For?, by Terry Teykl, and Prayer Shield: How to Intercede for Pastors, Spiritual Leaders, and Others on the Spiritual Frontlines, by C. Peter Wagner.
“The most underutilized source of spiritual power in our churches today is intercession for Christian leaders.” ÑC. Peter Wagner
Things to Keep in Mind:
- Know and understand the weight of responsibility that your pastor or staff leader carries.
- Have a loving and serving attitude toward him or her rather than being critical or judgmental.
- Always speak well of him or her and his or her family.
- Find a trigger or cue that will prompt you to pray regularly. For example, you could pray at a set time each day or you could remember to pray by associating your staff person with an activity you do each day.
- Pray in faith, believing that your prayers are making a difference in the life of the leader.
- Pray as the Holy Spirit prompts you.
- Read email updates from your staff leader regularly to guide your prayers.
- Pray joyfully! Thank and praise God for the life and witness of the leader, and thank God for the privilege of being a prayer partner in ministry.
Ideas for Daily Prayer for Your Pastor
- Give thanks for their call and gifts for ministry (Colossians 1:3-6).
- Pray for personal renewal and holiness, hunger for and adequate time in the Word, deeper prayer, and fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon his or her life (1 Peter 1:13-16, Isaiah 40:28-31).
- Pray for spiritual protection, victory over sin and temptation, and freedom from discouragement and anxiety (Ephesians 6:10-18, Galatians 6:9).
- Pray for his or her personal life: physical health, a strong marriage and family relationships, financial provision, and good friends (Philippians 4:19).
- Pray for ministry effectiveness: answered prayer, growing opportunities to reach unbelievers, wisdom, discernment, bold preaching and teaching, clear and compelling vision, effective leadership, strong work relationships, and protection from undue criticism (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12, Colossians 4:2-6).
Call, email, or drop a note of encouragement to your leader occasionally to assure him or her of your prayer support.